Meet Our Owner
Bowman & Company, CPA, PC is owned and actively managed by Tom Bowman. As a small business owner myself, I understand the tax and accounting needs of the small business owner.
In 1987, after ten years of tax, accounting and business experience, I decided to establish my own firm. Armed only with a marketing brochure (self-designed and tacky by all accounts!), my past experience, and the confidence that I could continue to serve the needs of the small business owner (translation: no clients, no money!), I left the comfort of a large CPA firm and set out to build my own business.
At the time, I had two small kids, a mortgage, other debt and no money. My wife Linda did not work outside the home. Obtaining a bank loan proved to be a pipe dream. The conversation with the banker went something like this: “So let me get this straight… You are going to quit your job where you were on track to become a partner, you have no clients, you have no money, you have no collateral, you have debts from two prior businesses and your business plan is to walk the streets of Howard County and cold call small businesses and you want us to lend you money?”
Needless to say, I didn’t get the loan. I did, however, hatch another plan. “How about if I take a month or so to gather up all the credit card offers I get, fill them out and drop them in the mail box all on the same day!” That plan worked and I received over $100,000 in credit card lines from 10-15 different banks.
The first year, I fed and housed my family by juggling the lines to keep interest and cash advance fees to about 2%. The business broke even that first year, but I had accumulated close to $50,000 in debt. I trudged along, walked more streets, made more calls and by the end of the second year, the debt was gone and I was well on my way to a successful business. I do not, however, recommend this financing strategy to my small business clients. Since then, I have been successful in my own pursuits while contributing to the success of my small business clients.
On the personal side, I and my wife Linda have been residents of Howard County since 1983. I am originally from the Cleveland, Ohio area and maintain dual loyalty to the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens. My outside interests include concerts, running, working out, Orioles, Ravens tailgating and Maryland basketball.
My oldest daughter owns a day care center and my other daughter is a teacher in the Howard County School System. My son Mark is an Accounting Manager at Bowman & Company. My wife Linda works for the Howard County School System.
Accomplishments and activities include the following:
- Maryland Small Business Administration – Accountant Advocate of the year – 2011
- Maryland Small Business Administration – Accountant Advocate of the Year – 2001
- Mid-Atlantic Region SBA Accountant Advocate of the Year – 2001
- Past President (2016) Professional Association of Small Business Accountants (PASBA)
- Board of Directors – PASBA (2013-2016) (2007-2010)
- Lifetime Achievement Award – (PASBA)
- Accounting Firm of the Year 2007 – (PASBA)
- Maryland Small Business Week Awards Treasurer and Committee Member 2001-present
- Howard County Business Club Member 1995-present. Past President and Treasurer(current)
- American Heart Association Past Walk Chairperson and Board Member
- American Heart Association Top Walker Club 1999-present
- PASBA-Major author/contributor to a seven manual program entitled Blueprint for Success
- PASBA-Blueprint for Success University-Developed program and teaches 2 day sessions at the semi-annual national conferences to other small business accountants
- Howard County Small Business Development Center-Past lecturer on “1st Steps to Starting Your Small Business”
- Raised 3 great kids (Ok, I had some help.) (Well ok, a lot of help.)
Get in Touch
If you are looking for small business financial services that won’t break the bank from accountants and financial professionals you can trust, Bowman & Company can help. We are proud to offer a different approach to small business accounting and one-stop flat rate financial services that meet all of your needs. To get more information on what we offer, give us a call at (410) 381-8121 or email us today!